It's been forever (and a year) or so it feels! Part of my resolution for this year is to blog more. So, here I am attempting to do so! We'll see how well I do with this..
Anyways, let's cut to the chase! I've been extremely busy and it seems as if so much has changed since I last wrote! I'll split the catch-ups into different posts so it doesn't become too overwhelming to read.
This post will be dedicated to talking about my FIRST ever cookie exchange. When my team proposed the idea back in October, I immediately took to Pinterest and began pinning! I knew I wanted to make a cookie that not only looked delicious, but tasted it as well. (My lucky roommate had the job of Official Taste-Tester). There were so many amazing recipes, I couldn't hardly contain my excitement! Pin, pin, pin (I swear, I should work for Pinterest! After all, it's been an integral part of my life for 2 years now, and I've turned many people onto it!) Whew, tangent. Bring it back. K. I decided I needed a cookie that fit the prior criteria, but one that was also called fairly inexpensive ingredients and yielded a large number (7 1/2 dozen to be exact). I know, 90 cookies sounds like a lot! The way we did it, was, we divided the number of cookies by the amount of people attending-each person would take home one 1/2 dozen cookies per person in attendance. We had 15 people.
After many months of searching, I had narrowed it down to 2. Now, I can't spoil it and tell you what the other cookie choice was, in case I decide to make them next year! (Ok, maybe ill tell you later).
Pinwheel Christmas Cookies were the winners! Then I got to thinking: Christmas..I need peppermint! Peppermint Pinwheel Christmas Cookies! Totally thought I'd made that up, genius that I am (not), but I searched and found! Easy peasy! Well, the. I decided that I wanted my cookies rimmed with sprinkles. Hm. Recipe, do you exist? Why, yes, it did! Glad great minds think alike. I actually combined 2 recipes. This one, and this technique for adding the sprinkles.
Let's cut to the chase. The first batch was a DISASTER! I've never made sugar cookies before and was unaware of how sticky the dough was. *pause-I just ended my elliptical session-goes by super fast when you multitask!*
Ok, so the disaster..super sticky dough. Not good. Needed a lot of flour to rectify the problem, which I was sure would then alter the taste. I decided to bake them anyways, hoping for the best. They didn't bake up too badly, but were super small and slightly burnt at the bottom-turning the pretty green color a poopish green color. Chucked those. Tried again. This time, I searched for a new recipe. To my surprise, this recipe was accompanied by a fabulous tutorial! I watched, watched, and watched again. I was determined to master these cookies.
Poof! Success! The first batch turned out magnificently. Into the second (and final). Oops. I accidentally spilled the peppermint extract into the dough. Oh well. It didn't affect the taste too much. They did taste very pepperminty, though.
Here's the finished product!
I'll post the links to the recipes and tutorial later tonight! I'm blogging from my phone :)